Google

Monday, May 17, 2010

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Well I finally made it on the water on the morning of Sunday, May 16th and I was only on the water for 2 hours, 8:30-10:30am. In my two hour fishing window I tried throwing crankbaits, jigging grubs, and drop shotting artifical minnows. I did not land any fish. I did however hook up with something that I new was pretty big. After fighting for a few minutes on 10lb Vanish, I was able to see what it was and it was a huge walleye caught in 7 feet of water. It came up to the surface and I grabbed the net and put it down as there was still some fight left in this Walleye. I was drop shotting an artificial minnow and when I was able to see it, it was enormous. As I reach for the net to have it ready to land, I momentarily lost tension in the line I think and it was gone. I put this Walleye at around 7-8 lbs+ and in the 27"+ range, it was a BRUTE. I was right at a spot which happened to be a point off an island. There were some weeds in this area and it transitioned into a rocky bottom towards the shoreline. It was so disappointing to lose this monster. It would have been out of the new slot regulations but would have been the biggest Walleye I have ever caught.
On Saturday night I continued with the dock fishing as the Wobbly Pops kept me on shore and I did catch a total of 6 Rock Bass, 2 Bluegill, I lost one small Walleye and caught an even smaller one which I put at around 12-13 inches.
The weather on Sunday was great, light winds and blue sunny skies. Thankfully most of the work at the cottage is now done so now it’s finally on to spending more time on the water.

Sunday I trolled a few weedbeds off Margaret Island with other boats but we all came up empty. This spot has produced in the past but not yesterday. It was a great weekend for working and fishing. I definately want to venture farther on the lake and try some proven spots. My new NAVIONICS is working great on te water. The long weekend can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment